Monday, April 22, 2013

March 2013 and Goals


March 2013 and Goals

 I set the major goal for March, 2013 to lose six pounds between March 1 and March 31.  The six pounds was based upon my program of losing four ounces per day for the month, or 124 ounces for the month, which computes to 7.25 lbs.  But I did not think I could lose that much so I set a realistic goal of 6 lbs. for the month of March.  I began March with a weight of 188.2 lbs. and completed March with a weight of 180.4 lbs. which resulted in a 7.8 lbs. loss of weight; that is 124.8 ounces, so I did better than I thought I would.  I have projected, based upon a loss of 2 oz. per day, reaching my goal of 160 lbs. in 163 days, or October 1, 2013.  The 160 goal is a first target and my true goal is 155-157 lbs. because that will result in Body Mass Index (BMI) of less than 25.  This is the number that I am told by physicians that I should reach to be healthy.

I am following a low carbohydrate diet, and let's not be afraid of the word "diet" because whatever we do with food is a diet.  There is the old fashion and famous "See Food Diet" which prescribes "whatever I see, I eat."  A golfer began that one but I forget which golfer now.  If we eat unrestricted food, that's a diet; just not a very healthy one.  When I was a youngster, in high school, and the navy, and then later, I could eat what I wanted to without gaining weight.  My wife could too.  It's a given that for a great number of us humans, as we age, we lose some ability to eat everything and anything without gaining weight.  I see it in many friends and in myself.  From the Doctors Eades, Dr. Atkins, Drs. Phinney and Volek, and Gary Taubes, I have learned much about carbohydrates, insulin, glucose, glycogen, and other tools of our energy provision.

I've had to conclude that I have two issues; (1) carbohydrate sensitivity, and (2) carbohydrate addiction.  Carbohydrate sensitivity means that we respond to carbohydrates easily and produce insulin in over abundance and store fat from that insulin stimulation.  Insulin does several things but it's main function is to store fat in our cells.  Another hormone releases fat for energy.  

Carbohydrate addition is a need to consume carbohydrates, whether it is a real need within our bodies or an imagined need created by emotion, need for comfort, fun--such as popcorn and a Coke with it--or just a habit left over from our childhood.  It can be any number of things.  For example, from my early movie going experiences as a child and then teen, movies meant a Coke, popcorn, often a candy bar, in the proper venue, a hot dog, perhaps (later on) nachos with cheese and jalapeno peppers.  When I was in navy radar school in San Francisco, we could pay extra for a loge seat and smoke (cigarettes only; no pipes or cigars).

It was, for me, a near Pavlovian response; go to a movie, must have Coke and popcorn.  I now go to a movie and have only water, if I have that, in the gloriously overpriced plastic bottles ($3.50 for a bottle last time out).  It took me a lot to get past my staple of popcorn and a soft drink but I managed to do it when I began this program.

One of the things I did, as soon as I was able, was to buy some new jeans.  I wear Lee brand jeans.  I bought eight pair in size 34 waist with a 29 inseam and then, against my wife's wishes, or even her knowledge, I took 30 pair of jeans and slacks to the west side of town and gave all of them to a mission to help others there.  My wife suggested that I keep them "in case I gain weight again."  No; I chose not to because thinking that way sets me up to gain weight.  I refuse now to do so; that is, clearly "Failure is not an option."  Here is why; carbohydrates are more than just addictive to me.  They result in inflammation and in my case, as I am sure in other people, they cause depression.  It took me a while to understand that but I do now.

From Brian Tracy's program, "The Psychology of Achievement" I am learning, once again, to program myself with visual tools, goals and affirmations.

Stephen Joe "Red Boots" Payne
Body by Payne, April 22, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment