Sunday, April 28, 2013

Before and After


Before and After

Do you realize that most available log books want you to make a before and after photograph?  Let's think about that.  You weigh 250 lbs. and are defined as clinically obese and you want to make a photograph of that.  Why?  Do you want to remember what you looked like then so that you can cleverly find ways to return to that old weight?  That's what a before photograph is inviting you to do.  Today I weigh 169.4 lbs (2710.4 ounces) and I took a photograph which I thought I might post.  I look much better than I did when my birthday arrived on February 12 of this year when I was weighing 204, but still, I have the places on my side above my hips and I don't like those so, why photograph them?  If I believed that this is the best I'll be, then I would, but my ultimate goal is 155-157 lbs. with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 24.6 (or less).  I can and I will reach that goal.  Then I will make a photograph and post it; and it will be the one that I'll want to keep in front of me, to remind me how I want to appear, to me and to others. And, ultimately, I hope what I have done and posted will help someone else.

Books (information) to help:

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.  It has a lot of information and may be technical for some, i.e. hard to read

Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It by Gary Taubes, the less technical and more easy to read version of Good Calories, Bad Calories

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek.  Did you see the words "Life-Saving" in that long title?  I read this book after all of the others and I found it to be an excellent guide on how to do it.  I've added 2 cubes a day of beef broth since I read it.

Dr. Berstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars by Richard K. Bernstein.  On this one, my only child, Stephen William Payne was a type I (juvenile) diabetic and died at age 36 from the complications of the disease.  I have to believe that this book and his execution of the matter in it would have allowed him to have lived much longer with much greater health.  It's a great book, and a great story.

The Inflammation Syndrome: Your Nutrition Plan for Great Health, Weight Loss, and Pain Free Living by Jack Challem.  I was looking for books on inflammation and Google helped me find this title.  It added to my knowledge of my illness.  I develop inflammation quickly from carbohydrate excess and it is painful and limiting.  I can raise my arms over my head now and use both arms and hands well.  I could not do that before I began to realize the inflammation syndrome in my life.

Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health-in Just Weeks! by Michael and Mary Dan Eades.  The Eades' program was my first exposure to health through this diet and I still go back to it often.

The New Atkins for a New Your: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great by Dr. Eric Westman, Dr. Stephen Phinney and Jeff S. Volek.  After I had followed the Eades for a while, I went to the original Dr. Atkins and this book is updated with anything that happened since he wrote it.

No before photographs but once I am at goal weight and health, then I will make a photograph which will be the new before and then the old and new after.

Stephen Joe "Red Boots" Payne
Body by Payne















No comments:

Post a Comment